Public Lecture 2024

Change of Perspective in Mathematics

Michael Orrison (Professor of Mathematics at Harvey Mudd College.)

May 3, 2024 (5:30 pm CDT)
Hillside Auditorium, 902 W Dickson St, Fayetteville, AR 72701

This lecture is open to all interested members of the public. No registration or ticket is required.

The public lecture will be held in tandem with the Spring Lecture Series in Mathematics, a research-oriented conference featuring a series of five lectures delivered by Dr. Svitlana Mayboroda focussing on harmonic analysis, partial differential equations, and geometric measure theory.

Professor Orrison

Change of perspective is ubiquitous in mathematics. Consider, for example, equivalent fractions, change of coordinates, u-substitution, Bayes’ Theorem, or even the simple fact that 2 + 3 = 3 + 2. In this talk, I’ll offer some reflections on the unifying role that change of perspective plays when we learn, share, create, and discover mathematics. I’ll also share how conversations over the years with teachers, students, and my own children have shaped my understanding of the power of change of perspective.

About the Speaker. Michael Orrison is a Professor of Mathematics at Harvey Mudd College. He received his A.B. from Wabash College in 1995, and his Ph.D. from Dartmouth College in 2001. His teaching interests include linear algebra, abstract algebra, discrete mathematics, and representation theory. His research interests include voting theory and harmonic analysis on finite groups. He particularly enjoys finding, exploring, and describing novel applications of the representation theory of finite groups with the help of his talented and energetic research students.

Updated 4/24/2024